What, how and how much we eat can affect not just our physical health but also mental and emotional health. Therefore healthy eating becomes an integral part of the overall wellbeing of an individual. That's where the role of a dietician or a nutritionist comes into play. Dieticians are qualified professionals with the necessary skill sets to provide expert nutrition and dietary recommendations. They provide a scientific yet practical approach on what to eat. If you reach out to a dietician they will be able to help you with your goals in areas such as weight management, specific diets and other health concerns.
What exactly will happen?
A typical first diet consultation would run for about half an hour to an hour, where the dietician will try to understand your concern. Depending on your goals, you will be asked to fill a diet recall and food frequency form. This will help in understanding your current dietary patterns which in turn will help in tailoring a diet plan to meet your requirements and move towards achieving your goals.
Following this your dietician will:
You can approach a dietician:
- Guide you through diet and lifestyle changes in a-step-by step fashion towards your personalized goals related to weight management, disease management or risk reduction, or simply better health.
- Help you get a better understanding of your diet, food labelling, supplements etc.
- Encourage you to modify your diet in a way that is doable and sustainable, by ensuring that it is both nutrient dense and satisfying.
- When you want to know how to stay fit through a healthy diet.
- If you want to manage your weight (either weight loss or weight gain)
- If you want to know the ideal diet while managing specific lifestyle illnesses like diabetes, hypertension, heart diseases, PCOD, thyroid disorders, cancers etc.
- In case of any food intolerances such as lactose intolerance, gluten sensitive enteropathy.
You will need to put aside some time to think carefully as you work with your dietician, but when you do so the results can be long-lasting and effective!